Organising a wedding followed by a traditional honeymoon is like having two major logistical assignments to project manage – a challenging task for any couple juggling jobs, a social life and the excitement of a new chapter in your life together!
While you are concentrating on making your big day one to remember for the rest of your life, your second major project – consider swapping your honeymoon for a mini-moon, the new approach to wedding traditions.
Mini-moons are on trend
Romantic short break
The idea is to make your honeymoon a romantic short break to wind down after the excitement of your wedding. You can then take the time to plan your ‘real honeymoon’ for a convenient later date to the destination of your choice.
When the wedding planning seems endless and the big day just gets bigger, choose a mini-moon. If time off work is an issue, then the mini-moon makes a great option for a short break for your wedding week.
Mini-moons make a great alternative to a ‘real honeymoon’.
- Romance and recuperation. Your love will be the focus of your mini-moon whatever you decide to do. Get creative and plan the treasured few days of your mini-moon to be a special escape to start your married life getting to know each other.
- Make it affordable. A mini-moon of three to five days is perfect to keep costs down. The wedding alone can stretch the budget, so a short getaway can be the perfect solution to keep costs manageable.
- Take the kids. If you are already a family and have children, a short break can solve your planning dilemmas. Grandparents may be persuaded to mind the children while you take a mini-moon – or if that isn’t possible, take the children with you as they will enjoy a getaway too!
- Share with friends and family. If friends or family have made a special trip to your wedding from overseas or interstate, they may enjoy a few days post-wedding to spend with you. Surprise them with an invite to the mini-moon and make it a friends and family break. As you are having a ‘real honeymoon’ for just the two of you at a later date, it can be a great opportunity to catch up with the people you most care about at a time when everyone is feeling the love.
Plan something completely different
When planning a mini-moon it can be fun to design a getaway that is a complete contrast to your everyday life. Keep the break within five days or it loses the mini-moon vibe.
- From the city: Plan a beach break, or rural retreat. Check Airbnb to find a complete contrast to your usual residence.
- From the country: Book a luxury hotel in the nearest ‘big smoke’. Enjoy a spa, relax in the pool, order room service and just enjoy each other.
- From inland: A three to five-day cruise really gets away from it all.
- From your place: A short international flight will see you on a relaxing Pacific Island or across the ditch in New Zealand. Look for special deals on flights that can make a quick mini-moon affordable.
Tips for a memorable mini-moon
- Focus on each other. Don’t try to cram too much into the few days. You are there to relax and recharge after the excitement of your wedding. Take it easy.
- Pack light. Consider the season and just take enough clothes for the few days you will be away.
- Indulge in something special. An extravagant meal, hire a bike or a boat or explore the region on foot. Take in a show, visit a farmers’ market, museum or art gallery.
Planning a mini-moon with Gift Card Registry
At Gift Card Registry you can set up your personal online registry to coincide with sending out the invitations to your wedding. Make it simple for your guests to give their gift through the online registry.
After the wedding, the total amount gifted will be loaded onto a prepaid Mastercard ready for you to use anywhere in the world that Mastercard is accepted.
A prepaid card gives you the power of choice as you can buy whatever you want. When you thank the guests, let them know how you plan to use the money on the card to give you a great start in your new married life.
The Knot wedding advice website. https://www.theknot.com/content/honeymoon-advice